New York Encounter is an annual four-day public festival centered around fascinating presentations, artistic performances, conferences, exhibits and information booths introducing a variety of charitable, cultural, and work-related initiatives.
Visit the website here for more information.
Schedule of Events
- 7:00 pm | Education and Freedom in Contemporary America Opening key note speech by John Garvey, President of The Catholic University of America followed by a live Jazz performance by the Xaverian Jazz Band
Friday, January 14
- 4:30 pm | How to Build a Human Economy for the Long Term in a (Post-?) Crisis Environment A discussion on the fundamental questions about work, economy, and finance with Clara Gaymard, VP of Government Strategy and Sales at GE International, and President and CEO of GE France, Carla Hendra, founding Chairman, Global Strategy & Innovation at Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide, and William McGurn, Columnist with the Wall Street Journal
- 8:00 pm | The Tidings Brought to Mary The Blackfriars Repertory Theater and The Storm Theater present a special benefit performance of the play by Paul Claudel
Saturday, January 15
- 11:30 am | Mass with the Gospel Choir of St. Charles Borromeo Church in Harlem
- 2:30 pm | Reality, Reason, Freedom: At the Root of the Religious Quest. A discussion on The Religious Sense by Luigi Giussani with speakers Fr. Julián Carrón, President of the Fraternity of Communion and Liberation Movement; H.Em. Sean Cardinal O’Malley, Archbishop of Boston; and moderator Michael Waldstein, Professor of Theology, Ave Maria University
- 5:30 pm | Can an Accomplished Scientist be a Genuine Believer Today? Exploring the boundaries of faith and science with panelists Msgr. Lorenzo Albacete, Theologian, and Author; Kenneth Miller, Professor of Biology, at Brown University; and Charles Townes, Nobel Prize winner in Physics
- 8:30 pm | A New York Night Images and voices from the heart of the city, presented by "Blue Lou" Marini
Sunday, January 16
- 10:30 am | Giacomo Leopardi: Infinite Desire A homage to the Italian poet on the occasion of the publication of his poems in the U.S. with speakers Jonathan Galassi, President and Publisher of Farrar, Straus and Giroux; Davide Rondoni, Author and Poet; and Joseph Weiler, University Professor at NYU School of Law